Perl Problem

I'm getting the following error from /bin/perl...

/bin/perl: can't load library '/usr/lib/libdb.so.1'
        Exec format error
/bin/perl: can't find library 'libdb.so.1'

It seems that /bin/perl is _still_ a.out format and thus can't
handle the ELF db library.

$ file /bin/perl /usr/bin/perl
/bin/perl:     Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (QMAGIC) - stripped
/usr/bin/perl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1

Now, many of the of the Debian package postinst/prerm/etc scripts
(including some of my own, no doubt) reference /bin/perl.  Because this
is not a boot-critical script, should all of these not reference
/usr/bin/perl instead?  If the perl package is not installed, then
there should just be a sym-link back to /bin/perl.

By the way, this came up because I'm trying to install elm, but it
calls /bin/perl on my system which is currently broken because of a.out/elf
incompatibilites.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )