Re: elf notes

As another happy camper :-) I can indicate that this worked; I'll just
add some notes:

> upgrade procedure works perfectly.  Last night, in single-user mode, I
> did (replacing `V' with version numbers):

I didn't bother with single user mode; it was easier to just stay up
and running the whole time. (ldconfig is safe enough to run multiuser,
and that's the only point of complexity...)

>   dpkg --install dpkg-V.deb
>   dpkg --install ld.so-V.deb
>   dpkg --remove elf-<...>
dpkg --list elf\* didn't show any of these -- I'm really running 93.6 a.out...
>   dpkg --remove libc
> At this point dpkg did not remove libc.

In my case, it didn't remove it because it claimed gcc still depended
on it. Given the following, was this step even necessary?

>   dpkg --install --auto-deconfigure libc4-V.deb
> Now dpkg replaced libc with libc4.
>   dpkg --install libc5-V.deb

At this point I installed an old copy of the archie package I had
around (which was ELF-only, and in non-free) and ran it, it
worked. Now to download elf development stuff and rerelease my
packages. (Given that the upgrade was this easy, I should have done it
long ago :-)
			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens