Re: Kernel images

On 27-Feb-96 Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Simon Shapiro writes:
> > I could but do not think I should.  The kernel is trimmed-down severely to
> > allow for booting it from floppies.  It is a minimalistic kernel, aimed at
>
> I didn't know that. I thought the kernel was for distribution only. In that
> case I expected it to have all options enabled except for those compiled as
> modules.
>
> > boot floppies only.  Tuned-for-specific-system kernels are not part of the
> > standard image package.
>
> I see.
>
> > What can be done?
> >
> > 1.  Preferred way:  Load the source package and build your own kernel.
>
> So we expect a Debian installer to be able to do this? Personally I do not
> have a problem with that since I always run the latest kernel. I just
> wondered how people who do not know much about Linux at all get along with
> this.
>
> Did you enable quota in your kernels? And other filesystems? I think the
> kernel won't be much larger if we include almost all features as long as we
> compile them as modules wherever possible. In fact we have to do that
> anyway, since the boot floppy has to carry all device drivers anyway.

Please understand that I do NOT like my solution.  There is simply no room on
the boot floppy for all this.  I simply hacked this ``solution'' with the
hope that someone will pick it up.

I already have the experience and none of the time for the proper solution.
Either the NT-style, or the Unixware (SVR4) solution is needed:

1.  A special probing utility to CAREFULLY scan for what hardware is there
    plus whatever hardware failed detection and the user adds.
2.  A kernel facility to do the above.

In Linux, this should be quite sinmple:

1.  I build a minimal kernel, with virtually ALL devices as modules.
2.  Someone modifies the kernel to allow ``glueing'' of a module to a kernel
    image or lilo to allow loading of modules, based on lilo.conf.
3.  I build ALL possible modules.
4.  Someone (else) changes the install procedure to scan/ask for the needed
    modules, configures a kernel/lilo to have these modules and puts it
    on the hard disk.  This requires the following:

1.  Modules can be added to the kernel at boot time, prior to mounting /
2.  Changes to lilo to accept that.
3.  Changes to the install procedures to accomodate this.

I simply do not have the time to do this type of work now.
I have done these things in the past and will be happy to help/coordinate/
test/shut-up, etc.

Sincerely Yours,
                           (Sent on 02/27/96, 19:51:38)
Simon Shapiro              i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008