Re: Location of "mailcap" and "mime.types"

   I've put "mailcap" and "mime.types" under the directory
   /usr/lib/netscape.  A recent post about lynx made me realize that I
   probably should have put them under /etc.

On my system:

pine: /etc/mailcap
lynx: /etc/mime.types

mime.types is listed as a conffile, mailcap is not.

With older versions of dpkg, installing a conflicting file would
remove it from the list of files in any already-installed packages.
I think more recent versions of dpkg do something more meaningful.
[But I've not verified this.]

--
Raul