Re: No 'which' program?

Frank Neumann writes:
> Hi,
> I might be wrong, but from looking at the 'Contents' file, I have not yet
> seen a 'which' program for Debian. I find it pretty useful sometimes,
> as in
> $ ldd `which <some_program>`
>
> It is part of e.g. Slackware and RedHat. A source pointer is e.g.:
>
> ftp://ftp.th-darmstadt.de/pub/os/Linux/slackware/source/a/bin/which.tar.gz
>
> It's so short I guess the author, Paul Vixie, doesn't put any restrictive
> copyrights on it (README says "26-July-1985").
>
> No, I don't offer to debianize it or whatever - just wanted to suggest it.

Both tcsh and bash supply their own 'which' built-in commands, bash's is
just called type. alias which to 'type -p' if you want it to act exactly
like which.

I wonder how many other people will answer this this time :)

Is this in the Debian FAQ now?

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au