Cern-httpd and apache

I had a problem in removing cern-httpd. I couldn't remove the file
/etc/init.d/httpd. The transcripts are shown below. I had apache
installed. I removed and purged apache and then purged
cern-httpd. This was succesfull.

I was wondering if the maintainers of these packages are aware of
these problems.

Are these problems package specific problems (i.e. to be solved by the
maintainers) or more general problems in the behaviour of dpkg.

Did I do something wrong?

# dpkg --status cern-httpd apache
Package: cern-httpd
Version: 3.0-4
Provides: httpd
Depends: netstd, adduser (>=1.93)
Conflicts: httpd
[deleted]

Package: apache
Version: 1.0.3-1
Provides: httpd
Depends: netbase, libc5, libgdbm1
Conflicts: httpd
[deleted]

# dpkg --remove cern-httpd
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove cern-httpd, only the config
 files of which are on the system.  Use --purge to remove them too.
# dpkg --purge cern-httpd
(Reading database ... 25382 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing cern-httpd ...
Purging configuration files for cern-httpd ...
update-rc.d: error: /etc/init.d/httpd exists during rc.d purge.
dpkg: error processing cern-httpd (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 cern-httpd

# dpkg --remove apache
(Reading database ... 25382 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing apache ...
dpkg - warning: while removing apache, directory `/etc/httpd' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apache, directory `/var/log/httpd' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apache, directory `/var/web/cgi-bin' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apache, directory `/var/web/webspace' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apache, directory `/var/web' not empty so not removed.
# dpkg --purge apache
(Reading database ... 25328 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing apache ...
Purging configuration files for apache ...
# dpkg --purge cern-httpd
(Reading database ... 25319 files and directories currently installed.)

--
Erick Branderhorst@heel.fgg.eur.nl +31-10-4635142
Department of General Surgery (Intensive Care) University Hospital Rotterdam NL