Re: svgalib ...

Richard Kettlewell writes ("Re: svgalib ..."):
> (See bug #<whatever it is> for more discussion on this topic.  I
> wouldn't say anything discussed here is a bug that hasn't already been
> reported but it does deserve a reasonably wide airing.)

I'm rather confused, as I think I'm being asked a question but I don't
know what it is ...

> Peter Tobias writes:
> >Another strange thing happened to the config file (after installing
> >the package a second time):
> >
> >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb 21 02:46 libvga.config -> vga/libvga.config
> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1789 Feb  3 03:36 libvga.config.dpkg-new
> >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb 21 02:46 libvga.et4000 -> vga/libvga.et4000
> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4715 Feb  3 03:36 libvga.et4000.dpkg-new
> >
> >The library itself works without problems!
>
> The config file issue is a funky one...
>
> In the beginning, svgalib put its config files under /usr/lib.  This
> is Not On according to the FSSTND so the Debian maintainer of the time
> moved them to /etc for our use and put a symlink under /usr/lib.
>
> Then the upstream maintainer decided to follow the FSSTND and moved
> the config files to /etc/vga.  Imagine my irritation.  It may have
> been a foolish decision to try and move things but moving config files
> is something Debian may well need to be able to do anyway, and there's
> no time like the present...
>
> Therefore there's various stuff in the maintainer scripts to try and
> move things around safely.  I checked with Ian that the broad idea of
> what I wanted to do was sane, and it didn't do anything too stupid
> when I tried it on mine.
>
> Can you tell me what you find under /etc/vga, please?
>
> Ian, if I haven't heard from you by the time I find some free time to
> work on svgalib again (tonight is looking good - only two other things
> that have to be done) I'll send you the scripts I'm using and ask for
> comments, in particular on how to work around the mess that Peter has
> observed.

It doesn't look like you've done anything insane.

dpkg should follow the symlinks to find the conffiles wherever they
really are and update them there.

I think Peter's leftover .dpkg-new files were from the previous
version of the package, before the conffiles were symlinks.

Ian.