Managing configuration files

Hi all,

Some quick questions about the management of configuration files
under debian.

  1. Debian keeps track of files in debian.conffiles, and knows if
     they have been modified.  As a developer, how do I ask it if
     a file has been modified?

  2. What is the best strategy for managing config file upgrades.
     For example, I maintain the Apache package which I'm using to
     learn package design.  I install the conf files in
     /etc/httpd/<files> by placing them in debian-tmo/etc/httpd/.
     Are these automatically copied over existing files when the
     upgrade occurs?  Should I back up existing files in
     debian.preinst?  Should I put the files temporarily in /tmp
     and then selectively move them into /etc/httpd/ if they
     are needed?

I'm struggling to follow exactly how the rollover process happens,
so any ideas are greatly appreciated ;-)

Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark Shuttleworth