Re: Requirements for 1.1

> > First, when dpkg backups an existing symlink before moving a new one
> > into place, it renames the old symlink instead of copying it.  The old
> > symlink must be left as is until the new one can be renamed into
> > place.
>
> This can be done fairly easily, as symlinks are quite simple to copy.
> I'll just copy the existing link to make the backup.

Great.

> > Second, dpkg must rename the new shared library into place before the
> > new symlink.  If the symlink is done first, it could be left dangling
> > until the shared library is done.  I'll leave it up to Ian to decide
> > how the proper ordering can be ensured.
>
> The ordering is at the moment determined by the order of the files
> found in the archive.  It therefore seems sufficient to arrange for
> the user to be able to specify to dpkg-deb what the order of the files
> ought to be, but I'm not sure how general I need to make this.
>
> This may be an application for the `external tarfile' option to
> dpkg-deb, but it's not clear to me how to create a suitable tarfile.
> Something involving find and cpio might do the trick, and perhaps
> using lorder on the output of find would help.  Hmm, any ideas
> anyone ?

I just did some checking and tar will add files in whatever order the
directory entries happen to be in.  So, at least on ext2fs file
systems, all we should have to do is install the files in debian-tmp/*
in the correct order and everything will work out just fine.

> > (*) Yes, this contradicts what I've been saying all along about not
> > including this symlink in the .deb file because ldconfig would create
> > and delete it as necessary.
>
> Whatever :-).  ldconfig will presumably be just as happy with a link
> made by dpkg as one made by itself.

Right.  Ldconfig will stomp on an existing link just as easily as it
will create a brand new one. :-)

David