GCC "strength-reduce"

I was under the impression that the GCC available in the Debian
distribution had a patch applied to fix the strength-reduction bug.

When I compiled Wine last night, the "configure" script said:

Checking for gcc strength-reduction bug... yes

I looked at the configure source and it did appear to be compiling a
small program instead of just looking at the version number or something.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )