Re: ELF migration questions.

Alex Arthur writes:

>>Did you get your machine running, ? The default image is still not
>>elf-compiled (perhpas now) but you need an elf-compiled kernel,
>>otherwise you can't do anything.
>
>It was the standard 0.93R6 kernel, though I have the elf module. Should
>I have installed the image package?

If you're using an ELF init (or ELF anything that gets run before
modules are loaded) then you *must* have ELF actually in the kernel,
not just as a module.  Otherwise your system will get itself into a
mess when you next reboot.

If kernels on the ftp site don't have this then they ought to...
Personally I compile the kernel myself, so as to get precisely the
drivers that I need built in; modules cease to be much of an issue
then.

>Richard Kettlewell said...
>> I installed *just* the development stuff, so I could rebuild packages
>> for ELF and had no trouble...
>
>When you say "*just* the development stuff", did you mean just the
>packages with "-dev" in them and not the regular lib packages?

No - I mean I didn't install the ELF init or various other ancillary
programs.  (I since have installed some of them, in fact, but the
point I'm making is I proceeded slowly and with a great deal of
paranoia as to whether things would continue to work.)  You need the
base library packages for the *-dev packages to work.

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org

		   It was definitely murder - but was it art?