Re: XEmacs byte compiler compatibility

Hi,
	Umm, yes, 19.14 and 20.0 are Xemacs version numbers
 (pre-release alpha version-that-does-not-yat-work numbers).  You see,
 XEmacs and Emacs started out with compatible bytecode; the released
 version of XEmacs (19.13) is compatible with Emacs 19.28.  Then, with
 version 19.29 (I think), byte compiler enhancements were introduced,
 making 19.29+ incompatible with 19.28- and XEmacs.

	The snippet I posted from the latest pre-release is intimation
 that XEmacs is undergoing another sync-with-Emacs phase, so that
 XEmacs can read 19.29+ byte compiled files, though it would still
 produce older style byte compiled files by default.

	This may help us maintain single w3 packages (though there is
 no guarantee that the byte compiler syntax may not drift apart again;
 XEmacs is synchronizing with Emacs 19.30, and Emacs 19.31 is just
 around the corner).

	This was just a FYI.

		manoj
--
"Being against torture ought to be sort of a multipartisan thing."  --
Karl Lehenbauer, as amended by Jeff Daiell, a Libertarian %%