Re: New ncurses packages...

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, David Engel wrote:

> > >A solution during the installation process may be:
> > >  - copy the old shared object into an other directory, e.g. /baz
> > >  - export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/baz
> > >  - install new shared object
> > >  - remove copy in /baz
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH can't be used since setuid/setgid programs do not
> honor it.

Yes, but upgrading/installing is done as root anyway, and I think
the problem came from /bin/sh and other tools depends on shared
objects in the packages itself.  (If the nonhonor of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is the only thing, you could change ld-linux.so.1 to be able to go
temporary into some debian_is_updating state. David, you have the
source. -- Just kidding.)

The other problem are running/starting programs during the (short)
exchange time independend from the upgrade process, like cron, incomming
telnets or other work on this machine.  Now I am rather convinced we
should force a single user mode during upgrading/installing essential
parts of the system (ld.so, libc, shared object needed by bash, perl(?)).

mfg
Rolf Rossius