Re: Which files in /usr/sbin?

Ian Jackson writes:
   The point of sbin is to give us somewhere to put some sysadmin
   binaries that don't want to be on the user's path (if you look at
   it as a replacement for /etc) or to allow us to remove certain
   binaries that would confuse users from their paths (if you look at
   it as an alternative to bin).

   Surely then, the criterion for each binary should be whether it
   wants to be on the default - ie, non-sysadmin, path ?  Surely,
   then, to argue that sbin directoories should be added to the
   default path is to miss the point ?

fsstnd 1.2 seems to be somewhat ambivalent about the visibility of
/sbin and /usr/sbin.  However it does rather clearly state that the
purpose of /sbin and /usr/sbin is not to conceal the operating system
from the user.  [I don't have access to the more recent fsstnd draft,
so I cannot comment on that.]

I proposed putting /sbin and /usr/sbin in the default path, because
this seems like a simpler concept than putting it only in the default
path of the system administrator(s).

I think putting /sbin and /usr/sbin in the default path for the system
administrator is a good idea.

--
Raul