Re: curses/ncurses mess - help welcomed

> I'm thinking of removing what I've got and reinstalling.  I've currently
> got both libc's and both compilers, and would like to be able to compile
> for both a.out and elf (I've got to produce a stable, a.out gnuchess to
> replace the current, broken version).  I don't seem to have either
> /usr/lib/libcurses.a or /usr/lib/libtermcap.a ...

If you have libc4 installed, the a.out libcurses.a and libtermcap.a
are in /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib.  You need to install the aout-gcc
and aout-binutils packages to compile with them.

> So, am I right in saying that the default curses library for Debian is
> BSD (you need -I/usr/include/ncurses to get ncurses working, don't you)?

For a.out, yes, BSD curses is the default.  For ELF, ncurses is the
default.

> Basically, I need to know what to install, and how to compile both ELF
> and a.out with them ...

For a.out, install libc4, aout-gcc and aout-binutils and use the
programs in /usri486-linuxaout/bin.  For ELF, install libc5,
libc5-dev, gcc, binutils, ncurses-base, ncurses3.0 and ncurses3.0-dev
and use the programs in /usr/bin.

> Also, gnuchess uses BSD curses (or seems to), but the curses version is
> broken - backspace doesn't work.  Can I just replace BSD curses with
> ncurses, and if so, do I still need termcap?  I tried without termcap,
> but got undefined symbols ...

It should work, but you won't know for sure until you try.

David