Re: pbmplus/netpbm & /usr/bin

> As far as I know, it's okay for us to support *reading* GIF, but not
> *writing* it.  Therefore, an image viewer that supports viewing GIF
> doesn't infringe on the patent, but a conversion program that takes
> one format as input and outputs the GIF format does.
>
> I could try to get a legal opinion from the FSF, if you'd like.

It would be really nice if you could.  My personal viewpoint is that,
if it makes any difference, we are not the developers, we are
non-profit distributers.  If we could ask Compuserve to allow us to
put up a "GIF is copyright..." message, it would be nice to be able to
distribute ppmtogif in non-free.

Jim