Re: Packages-In-Progress list?

> Forgive me if this has been posted here before, but I was wondering if there
> was any mechanism set up to register a package that you are working on or
> check to see if a package is currently being developed.  I had started on a
> few packages when I noticed that someone else had just finished them.  If
> such a mechanism is not in place, then I might be willing to develop one
> (if it is deemed necessary).  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I had a brief stint as Package List Maintainer, but realized it was
getting out of hand.  So I made the tool that eventually turns out the
Packages file.  It would be good to take this a step further, and have
a real central database where people could request ownership of new
packages, or put packages up for "adoption" after they find they can
no longer do it.

The only real problems with such a model is a) people forgetting to
use the datbase and b) authentication.  a) would probably be handled
by the Package List Maintainer, and b) might be solved any number of
ways, ranging from least to greatest security we could go from email
addresses to PGP encoded mail commands or Web-based CGI passwords.

Jim