dpkg --purge

I've notice that dpkg sometimes leaves empty directories around after it
has purged a package, reporting that they are not empty even though they
are.  As far as I can tell, dpkg is seeing conffiles in those directories,
thus reporting the problem but then deleting the conffiles.  Is there
any way that dpkg could make another attempt at removing the directories
after it has removed conffiles?

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )