Re: disaster upgrading to elf

Michael E. Deisher writes ("disaster upgrading to elf"):
> After being assured by others that upgrading to the elf packages was
> painless, I took the plunge.  I should have known better.
>
> My free hard disk space was limited so I just downloaded the base and
> devel directories and the Packages file.
>
> I ran dselect and unselected all the packages that dselect wanted to
> upgrade that were not yet on my hard disk (that is, those
> packages not in base or devel).  That was really tedious.  Is there a
> way to convince dselect NOT to make all these choices FOR you?

The easiest way would be to put all the packages on hold, except base
and devel.  Use `o' to get the packages sorted by section, go to the
line with `all packages' and say H (capital), then go to the lines for
`base' and `devel' and say G (capital).

*Don't* deselect things in dselect just because you want it not to
upgrade them - if you do that and then ask for the removal option it
will remove them all !

> While unpacking the packages there were numerous instances of
>    perl: can't load library 'libdl.so.1'
>
> Then the following errors occured during configuration:
>    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of elf-gcc:
>     elf-gcc depends on elf-libc (>5.0.9-2); however:
>      Package elf-libc is not installed.
>     elf-gcc depends on elf-binutils (>2.5.2l.20-1); however:
>      Package elf-binutils is not installed.
>    dpkg: error processing elf-gcc (--install):
>     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> That's bizarre!  gcc is supposed to replace elf-gcc.  Why on earth
> does dpkg think that the old elf-gcc package should be configured when
> it just removed it???

Had it just removed it ?  Hmm, I shall check to see if this is
plausible.  I don't suppose you have a full session transcript you
could mail me privately ?

>    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tclX:
>     tclX depends on tcl; however:
>      Package tcl is not installed.
>    dpkg: error processing tclX (--install):
>     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Why is dpkg trying to configure tclX?  I deliberately unselected it
> before installing so that dpkg would leave it alone.

Deselecting things doesn't mean "leave this alone", it means "I want
this removed".

Presumably it's trying to configure tclX because it ran dpkg
--configure --pending.  tclX is probably selected at this point.

>    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tk:
>     tk depends on tcl; however:
>      Package tcl is not installed.
>    dpkg: error processing tk (--install):
>     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Again, these packages were replaced by the elf packages so dpkg should
> not be trying to configure them.

I'm finding it difficult to see what's going on here.

Can you mail me the whole session transcript ?  I don't suppose you
have a /var/lib/dpkg/status file from any point after you deselected
everything ?

The novice mode interface to dselect will make it more obvious that
there is a distinction between `deselect' and `don't upgrade'.

Ian.