Re: Default organization: is there a site config file?

Hi,

	Sorry for digging up an old topic, but I've been away on
 vacation.

>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> writes:

 Ian> Manoj Srivastava writes ("Default organization: is there a site
 Ian> config file?"):

 Manoj> It seems to me that this information is not news specific (mailers
 Manoj> could utilize it too), so should this file be installed instead in
 Manoj> /etc, also, which package should take responsibility?

 Ian> Mailers do (should) not usually add Organization headers.  I
 Ian> think it should stay in /etc/news.

	Should is a matter of opinion.  (My mailer has been configured
 to add organization lines, so at least I prefer that my mailer do so:
 doubtless, there are others.  Moreover, in my _opinion_, the
 distinction between news and mail is getting blurred. But this is
 neither here or there.)

	The issue is that we have at least two non-news related
 packages (viz. dist and mailagent) that interact with mail, and
 provide an organization header.  In the future, there maybe other
 packages that do the same, and the question is how should we handle
 this?

	We could set up post install scripts to check for
 /etc/news/organization, and create it if that file does not exist, if
 the opinion is that /etc/news/organization should be the location for
 this information (currently I create an /etc/organization file, but I
 could change that).

	comments?

	manoj

-- If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, Jolt
 Cola would be a Fortune-500 company.  If builders built buildings the
 way programmers write programs, you'd be able to buy a nice little
 colonial split-level at Babbages for $34.95.  If programmers wrote
 programs the way builders build buildings, we'd still be using
 autocoder and running compile decks.  Peter da Silva and Karl
 Lehenbauer, a different perspective
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>