Re: why doesn't binutils-2.6-1 provide a shared library?

    Darren> david@elo.ods.com (David Engel), in a magnificent manifestation of deity, wrote:

    >> It could.  There is already some support for it in the
    >> Makefiles.  I chose to leave it for the eventual maintainer to
    >> add since it has packaging and support ramifications.  BTW, I
    >> did the same for libg++.

I am about to maintain Debian's gcc & friend packages as soon I am
finished downloading to get David's packages, which I tried since he
announced their availability, but due to ba tranatlantic links I never
managed to get more than an MB and that at approx 100cps.

With the ALPHA-TEST tree now being available on european mirrors, I
expect to be up to speed sometime tomorrorw.

    Darren> Who's going to be the maintainer?  I'd want to talk with
    Darren> them some about it.

While I'm open to suggestions, please give me a chance to look at
what's there before expecting me to comment on these issues.

    >> The -D option is now needed to list the dynamic symbols in a shared
    >> library that can not be stripped.  You'll have to ask the binutils
    >> developers why they did this.

    Darren> Ick.  Would that be of the GNU package or of the linux shared library
    Darren> specs (gcc folks).

Thanks
  Siggy

--