why doesn't binutils-2.6-1 provide a shared library?

Hopefully, this won't show my ignorance of binary objects off too badly.

Shouldn't binutils-2.6 provide a shared bfd library?

It used to in 2.5.2l.20-2?  I'm asking here instead of posting a bug
because I remember there being some  discussion about this a little
while back.

Also, why is it that I can do an 'nm libname.so' on some shared
libraries but not on others:

nm /lib/libdl.so.1 | wc -l
     43

nm /lib/libc.so.5 | wc -l
/lib/libc.so.5: no symbols
      0
nm -D /lib/libc.so.5 | wc -l
   1429

No, of course, you can get around this by using 'nm -D' but the
inconsistency is odd.

It was interesting.  I had to do some shell programming to convince
Configure to collect the objects.  Do you know how hard it is to program
in shell when you've been designing and teaching Perl for the last 3
weeks?

Darren
<torin@daft.com> <http://www.daft.com/~torin/>    <tnd@iswp.org> <torin@io.com>
Darren Stalder/2608 Second Ave, @282/Seattle, WA 98121-1212/USA/+1-800-921-4996