Re: ncurses-1.9.8a ELF release

On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Chris Fearnley wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to me.  I thought that the runtime package would
> include all of the shared libraries that other programs might need.

It does.

> Isn't that what lib*.so provide, the shared libraries?  And the
> symlinks are used by ld.so, no?  On a disk tight system I don't want to
> have to install -dev just to run some packages built on ncurses.  Let me
> know if I what I'm missing here.

Under ELF, the .so (rather than .so.X.X.X) file is _only_ used for
compile/link.  Some portion of the .X.X.X segment is encoded into the
executable (as the soname), and _that_ (.so.X, say) is what the
executable looks for.  So (get it?), the .so files are only needed in -dev.

Mike.
--
"I'm a dinosaur.  Somebody's digging my bones."