Re: Linux init-time errors since elf upgrade

Ian Jackson writes:

> David Engel writes ("Re: Linux init-time errors since elf upgrade"):
> > As someone has already noted, this was probably due to nm needing
> > libbfd.so and it not being on the root partition.  Someone else
> > suggested putting libbfd.so in /lib.  IMO, libbfd.so does not belong
> > in /lib and nm should be linked so as to not depend on it.  If the new
> > maintainer (Siggy, I think) can't get to it soon, I will try later in
> > the week.
> >
> > BTW, now that I think about it, we should consider selectively
> > relinking a few other programs such that other, non-essential shared
> > libraries don't need to be in /lib (e.g. bash/readline).
>
> Surely we want readline on the root partition, simply to save space in
> general ?  Having a statically-linked version inside bash isn't going
> to help save space in /.

And it's going to chew up valuable memory as well. If we had a statically
linked bash I think we'd want a one using the shared libaries as well.
Much simplier to keep readline in /lib

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au