Re: kernel crisis?

Ian Jackson writes:

> Bruce Perens writes ("kernel crisis?"):
> > I have a problem here. The binary interface of the 1.3.x kernel is
> > diverging from the 1.2.13 system to the extent that it's difficult to
> > keep one binary system that runs both kernels.
>
> This is clearly a Bad Thing.  In a way it's easier for us because we
> can provide scripts and things to sort out the mess, but the poor
> masses out there are going to be very annoyed when they find their
> systems unbootable because the binaries that worked with 1.2.x are
> useable with 1.4.
>
> Hasn't anyone pointed out the need for backward compatibility to the
> linux-kernel people ?

The linux kernel mailing list has been offline for several weeks afaik

> >  I hear that the net
> > utils change for 1.3.4x too. I can keep tracking 1.2.13 for a while, I
> > hope, with help. Perhaps we should hint to Linus that it's time to go
> > to 1.4 and try to arrive at a stable version. Just as long as they
> > first make scsi drivers probe the bus when they are loaded from
> > modules.
>
> The accounting and quota patches should make it into 1.4.  They've
> been stable and waiting to go in for quite a while.

Personally I'd be surprised if we got a 1.4 before january, I'd say we've
probably got another 20 patches of 1.3 to go at least, it's only just become
stable since about 39.

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au