Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 20:59:09 +0100
From: Sven Rudolph <sr1@irz.inf.tu-dresden.de>
To: Bill Mitchell <mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com>
Cc: andrew@it.com.au, Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca
Subject: Re: antisocial X11 apps

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.951123113238.5398A-100000@bb29c> Bill Mitchell <mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com> writes:

> This is by private email.  Andrew and Dirk had emailed me with
> questions and suggestions.  Sven was copied on my original devian-devel
> posting, and I'm including him in case he's interested.
>
> My 6.36 BogoMips figure is explainable.  H had to pull the motherboard
> to look at the CPU.  My alleged 486-40 machine turns out to have an
> AMD 386-40 CPU.  6.36 BogoMips is not out of line with that.

I didn't answer yet because I waited for these facts. I suppose you
don't have a numeric coprocessor. This means that the X11 font scaling
is done by the Linux-builtin numerical coprocessor emulator. If a
programm uses scalable fonts, the server has to do this. Because the
server isn't multithreaded, it is frozen until the font computation
finished.

Some of the possible workarounds are :
- Do not use scalable fonts.
  You have to remove the following lines from your XF86Config :
	FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"

  Now the applications probably will fall back to some dedicatedly
  ugly fonts.

- Use the font server xfs (either locally or remote).
  The font server runs as an extra process and doesn't block the X
  Server. In the local case it still takes the same amount of the time until the
  application has been started. If you run xfs remotely it should run
  on a faster box.

- Buy a numerical coprocessor.

	Sven
--