New developer looking for packages

Hi,

	I have recently joined this list, and I am not sure what the
 protocols are yet, so please go easy on me.

	I have been on the user list for a long time, but have only
 recently installed debian, and (finally) I would like to contribute
 to the project. Since time is the major constraint, I would like to
 work with things I am already familiar with, and I would like to
 package and maintain the following (I am on the developers list for
 these packages):

	1) Dist-3.0 (currently at patchlevel 60)
	2) mailagent 3.0 (currently at patchlevel 44)

	[Descriptions are appended below.]

	I also have talked to the current maintainer of c2man, and
 would be taking over the package after the current release.

	How does the new package process work?  Do I need permission,
 and if so, whose permission?

	manoj

 1) Dist-3.0 (currently at patchlevel 60):

	The dist package is a set of tools meant to ease the
	construction and maintenance of portable software. There are
	four distinct parts in dist, and it is also used by (amonst
	others) perl, c2man, mailagent and patch (the original patch,
	not the FSF version).

	This is the package that generates the Configure script used
	in perl, and is (IMHO) far more thorough than autoconfig.

 2) mailagent 3.0 (currently at patchlevel 44):

	A more flexible (and powerful) alternative to procmail.

	Mailagent allows you to process your mail automatically. Given
	a set of lex-like rules, you are able to fill mails to
	specific folders, forward messages to a third person, pipe a
	message to a command or even post the message to a
	newsgroup. It is also possible to process messages containing
	some commands.  The mailagent is not usually invoked manually
	but is rather called via the filter program, which is in turn
	invoked by sendmail.  That means you must have sendmail on
	your system to use this.  You also must have perl to run the
	mailagent scripts.

	Mailagent has actually four distinct set of features, which
	can be used simultaneously or one at a time. This involves:

	+    An @SH command processor, to remain compatible with the
	     first imple mentation.  In this simplest usage, all the
	     mail messages are left in your mailbox, with special
	     processing raised on messages whose subject is Command.

	+    A complete mail filter, which helps you sort your mail
	     based on various sorting criteria and actions. Filtering
	     is specified in a rule file.  You may deliver mail to
	     plain Unix-style folders but also to MMDF and MH ones.

	+    A replacement for the vacation program, which will
	     automatically answer your mail while you are not
	     there. You only need to supply a message to be sent back
	     and the frequency at which this will occur. Some simple
	     macro substitutions allow you to re-use some parts of the
	     mail header into your vacation message, for a more
	     personalized reply.

	+    A generic mail server, which will let you implement a
	     real mail server without the hassle of the lower-level
	     concerns like error recovery, logging or command
	     parsing.

-- Neanderthalers, low of forehead, Slunk through prehistoric mists
 Thinking men were pretty horrid-- Using spears against their fists!

Manoj Srivastava         Project Pilgrim, Department of Computer Science
Phone: (413) 545-3918             A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center
Fax: (413) 545-1249       University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
email:srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/~srivasta/