prerelease install problems

I've seen at least one report of a successful install of the
base system, but I haven't been able to get that far.

With the original disk set, I got an IO error after reading
the root disk.  Mounting the root disk and trying to read
individual files produced an IO error when the ld.so file
was read.  This was very repeatable, even after writing
another root disk on a different floppy.

With the second disk set, I get past the first base disk, but
the second one fails with the messages:

    gunzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    cpio:  premature end of tile.

This is likewise very repeatable, even after rewriting the base_2
disk on another floppy.

With both disk sets, my md5sums matched those posted by Bruce.

mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com (Bill Mitchell)