Re: Debian for Linux/{non-i386} / source packaging

On Sat, 9 Sep 1995, J.H.M.Dassen wrote:

> > Indeed. We're discussing changeing the source format. Perhaps it
> > is best to have
> > 1. an unmodified source
> > 2. a "debianize" script [description deleted]
> [...]

How about doing this through a debian.rules Guidelines modification.
new-style debian.rules files might:

1.  Change the diff target to produce debianizing patches.
    Name the output .dpatches.gz instead of .diff.gs.

2.  Change the build target to use the ../.dpatches.gz file to
    debianize the sources and place a stamp-debian file.
    Don't redo the debianizing if the stamp-debianize file is
    present.  ("debianize-stamp" might be a better choice, to
    simplify deleting stamp-build, stamp-configure, etc. during
    package builds and rebuilds.  The exact procedure could use
    some thought here.).

That'd fit well with current build procedures, which should remain
unchanged:

1.  Extract the sources.

2.  Change to the extraction directory.

3.  Type "make -f debian.rules { build, binary, diff,  clean, ... }".
    (perhaps releatedly)

The approach chosen should allow current-style source packages to coexist
gracefully in the distribution with new-style source packages.