Re: Chasing up old bug reports

In article <[🔎] m0sqQXU-0002ZZA@chiark.al.cl.cam.ac.uk> Ian Jackson <iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I see from debian-devel and my mail that Sven Rudolph
> <sr1@irz.inf.tu-dresden.de> has been chasing up some old bug reports.

> Sve: I think this is a very good thing and I was wondering whether
> you would like to be our official bug chaser-upper ?
>
> We've had numerous volunteers for the post, but most of them didn't
> actually do very much and disappeared after a mail message or two.
> Since you've actually started out by doing useful work I think you
> might be interested in the job :-).

My intent is to get the most well-known and oldest bugs out of the
planned public release. I don't know whether I will have much time,
therefore I don't want this to be too official. On the other side the
"official" seal may gain some respect for my mails ...

> Here are some things I wrote about the job the last few times it came
> out.  Note that it's not necessary for you to agree to do all of these
> things - it would just be nice if you did some of them :-).
>
> ] We need someone with the time and inclination to go through our old
> ] bug reports and nag package maintainers about what they are doing
> ] about them.

Ack.

> ] The ability to get other
> ] people to do things without upsetting them would be very useful in
> ] addition to this basic requirement for existence.

I will try this.

> ] The noodge (I'll borrow Ian M.'s word, though I don't know what it
> ] means),

Don't know it either, but the nearest word in my dictionary is noodle,
an this doesn't point to an excellently brilliant person ...

The other things are ok.

> ] It's been so long since we had anyone filling the job that you should
> ] probably start from scratch.  However, several of the packages with
> ] the oldest reports have changed maintainers recently, so you might
> ] like to get details about the latest state from Ian Murdock.

So Ian M. should send me his collection on this topic.

And a result: I have problems reaching Matt Porter
<porter+@osu.edu>. (He is the maintainer of minicom and seyon.) Please
send hints about this to me via private e-mail.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph (sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de); WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/