Re: Do we really care how many floppies are in the base?

> I have two base systems at the moment. One installs in 5 floppies, and contains
> all of the files in all of the packages contained in the base, and perl,
> and netstd, and ncurses-runtime. One installs in two floppies, and you then
> have to install the base packages afterward. The 5-floppy one sounds like it
> will be a lot easier to support (meaning there will be less answering questions
> about why dpkg is complaining and where is the documentation).
>
> I may have made an ill-considered decision when I built the 2-disk base.
> I'd like to hear opinion on which system we should be using for 0.93R6 .

Both, providing they become identical once the base packages are installed
on top of the small set.  (I thought that you had the small set down to one
disk?)  The small set is ideal for people who have the packages available
on some handy media (CD-ROM, NFS-mounted disk, tape, etc.).  The 5-floppy
set is better for those who will end up installing from floppies.

If we decide to punt the small set due to lack of time and documentation,
we should make it available as soon as possible.  Having to deal with all
of those floppies when you have real media available would really bother a
lot of potential users.

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Debian GNU/Linux (backup)
  <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Wanted:  Spare time.