Re: debian source format

Bruce Perens:
   Obviously, the packager has to decide what to do on a
   package-by-package basis. However, I'd like to get to the goal of
   distributing .notes or .spec files with original packages rather
   debianized .tar.gz files and .diffs .  It may be that we have to
   re-package some of the "original packages", or put lots of files in
   the .notes or .spec files.

Hmm..

This leaves us vulnerable to loosing track of the sources to some
random package when its primary ftp site goes away.

Also, I'm not sure this is sufficient for compliance with the GPL.

Then again, I'm not sure how .notes/.spec files work for a cdrom
distribution.

Worst case, perhaps we might consider a ".notes" variant as an
alternative or supplement to debian.rules, without disposing of the
current requirement for a source package?

--
Raul Miller