perlconfig in postinst: opinion please...

Hi.  I'm packaging auto-pgp for Debian.  It relies on some perl
headers.  My question is this:  should I rely on the correctness of
the .ph files generated when perl was installed or should I run
perlconfig in my postinst script?  I had trouble getting auto-pgp to
work until I ran perlconfig but this may have simply been due to the
fact that my system is an early 0.93R5 one.

One more dumb question [we really do need updated packaging
guidelines]:   Perl is part of the base system, right?  Therefore, I
do not need a "REQUIRES:  perl" in the control file, right?  Or has
all this changed since Bruce started paring down the base system???

Thanks,

--Mike