Re: Parsing package filenames (was: Re: New ftp method for dselect)

>> Personally, I also think we'll be better off if we bite the bullet and
>> try to maintain as much backwards compatability as we can with current
>> package naming usage than if we fall into a pattern of blowing off
>> backwards compatability issues in the interest of implementor convenience.
>
>What programs are we talking about being compatible with? Not dselect or
>dpkg, which don't care about the filename. I'd hazard that dchanges would
>be easy to fix. Dftp would ask for the feature, as would the dselect
>FTP method.

I think he was trying to say that it would be better to alter a few
packages to conform to the "<package-name>-<version>-<revision>.deb"
convention (with dashes in the packages-name an nowhere else) than
rename all existing files to have double-dashes (--) in them.
Personally, I agree.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )