Re: Debian+umsdos (fwd)

Bruce Perens writes:
>From: Simon Shapiro <Shimon@teleport.com>

>> And why do we want this brain dead file system (which even M$ does
>> not use for its own 1980 eras OS's) to boot a Unix O/S with?
>
>Because it is the lowest common denominator, and it would let people
>alter the bootstrap floppy from a non-Linux system before they booted
>it.  This is sometimes convenient. Since it's just the bootstrap
>floppy, we don't have to worry about supporting it as much as we
>would if we supported having the entire system on a umsdos disk. Some
>people are going to try that, I guess.

Actually I think it would be a good thing if we could support Debian
entirely over UMSDOS - being able to run Linux without having to mess
around repartitioning hard discs is going to make a lot of people a
lot more willing to try it.

--
Richard Kettlewell  richard@uk.geeks.org  http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/