Re: More ncurses...

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, J.H.M.Dassen wrote:
> >  Moved /lib/libncurses.so to /usr/lib/libncurses.so.
> Mike, I'm not too happy with this. This prevents libreadline.so from
> using it, and thus prevents bash from using the shared libreadline.
> Can you explain why you moved it?

Sorry, let me explain:  I have no intention of moving the ncurses shared
object (libncurses.so.3.0) out of /lib.  The announcement is apparently a
trifle unclear---I guess I've gotten so used to the idea that the .so and
the .so.X.X files are different, I just assume everyone sees them as being
that different.

To clarify:  The library itself (libncurses.so.3.0) is staying right where
it is (/lib).  The symbolic link (libncurses.so) that is used for
compiling is being moved to (/usr/lib), so as to help ld (apparently ld is
getting confused about having the .a file in one place and the .so file in
another --- David Engel's got the details).

Sorry to cause the confusion.  I hope you don't mind my cc:'ing
debian-devel, just to allay anyone else's concerns.

Cheers,

Mike.
--
"I'm a dinosaur.  Somebody's digging my bones."