Re: bumping the version number

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Ian Murdock wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > I think we should deprecate 1.0 and bump the version number to 1.1, so
> > that authentic copies of the release are not confused with the one on
> > the Infomagic CD.
>
> This is a good idea.

It seems like this will cause the mirrors carrying 1.0 to download
the whole tree again.  If we're going to do that, perhaps we should
have the debian-development (or whatever) be the directory tree and
debian-1.<whatever> be a symlink to it.  That way, the next bump of
the version number wouldn't cause massive downloading (or so I would
think).