Re: readline and bfd libraries?

Bdale Garbee writes:
> We're a bit confused.  For readline, it looks as though there are three
> packages on the ftp server under the development tree.  These are devel/librl,
> devel/libreadline, and devel/aout-librl.  I presume from this that the librl
> package is the one we want for ELF development?  If so, it appears to me that
> only a shared library is being provided, which both shared and archive libs
> are present for aout-librl.  Am I correct, and if so, why?  I gather that we
> need to use a static link to get debugging to work?  I get the feeling here
> that we're victims of work in progress, since I don't understand why both
> libreadline and librl packages are out there.

librl is the old readline package
libreadline is the new ELF readline package
aout-librl is the new a.out readline package

libreadline has an archive library

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au