Re: ELF ncurses

    Jeff> I am trying to wrap a new version of the miscutils package for ELF.
    Jeff> It depends on ncurses, however, and I can't find debianized ncurses
    Jeff> libs that work with the stuff in debian-1.0.

    Jeff> Also, the ELF ncurses in the experimental directory seems to use
    Jeff> the wrong soname.

    Jeff> Is anyone working on this?

Sorry, I obviously forgot to cc my reply to Bill Mitchell's message, here it is:

------------------------[ snip ]-------------------------------
From: Siggy Brentrup <bsb@uni-muenster.de>
To: Bill Mitchell <mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com>
Subject: Re: ELF packages
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 07:04 MET

    Bill> On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Ian Murdock wrote:

    >> [...] For now, I urge everyone to upgrade their copies of gcc,
    >> libc, etc., as we're going to start wanting to building ELF
    >> packages fairly soon.

    Bill> I've started working on mine.  The second package build
    Bill> failed because it uses curses.

Sorry for that, see below.

    Bill> The plan, AFAK, is to junk curses in favor of ncurses.
    Bill> However, I recall that Bruce put the ncurses package up for
    Bill> grabs.  Would it be possible to get an elf libncurses?

I offered to take ncurses when Bruce put it at disposal, but his
response got lost as we found out in private email, probably due to
problems at my provider's. Sorry for that.

Furthermore I am inclined to defer downloading large packages like gcc
and the like until next week since I'm changing technology (ISDN) and
provider and get another 1Gig :)

In case you can't wait, feel free to drop me a note, I'll try to find
a solution.

    Bill> Is the stuff in /usr/include/ncurses to be repositioned to
    Bill> /usr/include or to remain in /usr/include/ncurses?

I'd prefer to leave it in /usr/lib/ncurses (don't like monster
directories) but I'm not religious about that.

Regs
 Siggy

--
email: bsb@uni-muenster.de           // programmer/*nix admin for hire