Re: Release management and package announcements

> > > The Section field from the control file can be used for this.
> >
> > If the SECTION field is not going to reliably contain the section name
> > where the package is placed, it should be eliminated.
>
> The (optional) Section information has to be there so that when a
> package is installed but the user doesn't download a new Packages file
> they still see the package in the right place in dselect.

I guess that's my point.  If the xyz.deb says "SECTION: devel"
because that's where the maintainer wants it, but Ian M. decides to
place the package in the text section, the user will be told
"Section: devel" if he says "dpkg --status xyz.deb", and dselect
will show it as either devel or text depending on whether or not the
user has downloaded the Packages file.

Seems more confusing than helpful to me.