Re: pre-inst and post-inst scripts that start and stop daemons

CD Rasmussen writes ("Re: pre-inst and post-inst scripts that start and stop daemons "):
> Rather than naming the effect you want, not starting daemons, I would
> think it better to name the situation, like DEB_BASE_BUILD or
> something.  Now as time goes on, the scripts will be left to do the
> right thing, for that set of conditions.  This, of course, should be
> documented like nobody's business.

This is true.

However, I'm wondering whether a more elegant and simple solution
might just be for Bruce to run the cross-installation which a PATH
environment variable that ensures that the version of
start-stop-daemon it finds is a link to `true'.

This doesn't help other scripts, of course.

If Bruce still thinks that modifying start-stop-daemon to take acount
of a CROSS_INSTALL variable (I believe that was what he suggested, I
don't have the mail here right now) is better then I shall do that,
but he can use my suggestion above as a work-around in the meantime.

Ian.