   Date: Thu, 26 Oct 95 21:38 PDT
   From: bruce@Pixar.com (Bruce Perens)
   To: debian-devel@Pixar.com
   Subject: pre-inst and post-inst scripts that start and stop daemons

   Part of the process of building the base disks involves installing all of
   the base packages on an "alternate root", that is using the "--root"
   argument of "dpkg" to set its idea of the root to the directory in which
   I'm building the base.

   When I do this, I see a lot of messages about not being able to kill
   network daemons, /proc not being mounted, etc. Also, daemons are
   probably being started when it isn't appropriate. However, I do want
   to execute the pre-inst and post-inst scripts because most of the work
   they do is useful and necessary to build correct base disks.

   I think we should agree on an environment variable that I can set to
   tell the pre- and post-inst scripts not to start of kill daemons.
   Would "DEBIAN_NO_DAEMONS=1;export DEBIAN_NO_DAEMONS"
   be an appropriate thing to use?

   	Thanks

   	Bruce
   --
   See Pixar's "Toy Story", at a theatre near you starting November 22.