Re: ChangeLog format
On Sat, 21 Oct 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Murdock writes ("ChangeLog format"):
> > Personally, I like Ian J.'s ChangeLog format--I think it satifies
> > both goals of being human-readable and machine-readable.
> Would it be helpful if I wrote a spec. saying what the format is, so
> that people writing changelogs and programs to manipulate them had a
> document telling them what to do ?
Just to recap, from my point of view:
- There was an announcement that Bruce had taken over as the
main man driving the mechanics of the distribution.
- Bruce posted a new changelog format, and asked for discussion.
- There was a bit of discussion -- not much.
- Bruce asked for volunteers to produce a program to mechanize
changelog construction for package announcements.
- I volunteered, and the dchanges package resulted. It was
based on Bruce's posted format, with some minor points
clarified in email between Bruce and myself.
Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking the format had stabilized.