Re: Backup package and dpkg (was Re: dpkg-disappear-replace.txt)

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995 rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu wrote:

>[...]
> Ian Jackson:
>    Right.  This could be tricky, though: potentially it may be
>    necessary to install first A version 1, then B, then A version 2,
>    then C, or similarly horrible things, and it's not clear when you
>    decide to throw out old data.
>
> Really? Can you describe the circumstances where this could occur?

I hesitate to insert myself into this (really, I did hesitate), but:

    dpkg --install textutils.deb
    dpkg --install --force-conflicts elv-fmt.deb
    dpkg --install textutils.deb

    dpkg --install cpio.deb
    dpkg --install mt-st.deb
    dpkg --install textutils.deb

    dpkg --install textutils.deb
    dpkg --install elv-fmt.deb
    dpkg --remove elv-fmt.deb

    dpkg --install cpio.deb
    dpkg --install mt-st.deb
    dpkg --remove mt-st.deb

And (and possibly not pertinent), from the "turf" thread I've
just posted about:

    dpkg --install fileutils.deb
    cp ./ls /usr/bin/ls # spiffy -- user likes it better than ours

    dpkg --install miscutils.deb
    cp ./passwd /usr/bin/passwd  # installing shadow password suite