Re: A vote for a package announce list

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, CD Rasmussen wrote:

> I would like to have a separate list for this.  I usually ignore the
> package messages.  The only problem I have with the idea is that there
> is so much instructive info in the dpkg announcements.  If Ian could
> could split the messages into a discussion message for devel and a
> simple announcement message for that list, I would be happy.
> The other course would be to always announce dpkg in devel while all
> the others go to the package list.

I know these may be fighting terms but I'm going to say it anyways..:)

With FreeBSD they do have a mailing list that is just for changes done to
files in the system as you see below:

(copy of a message for the FreeBSD commit mailing list)
>> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 23:50:53 -0700
>> From: xxxxxxx@freefall.cdrom.com
>> To: CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com
>> Subject: cvs commit: src/lib/libc Makefile
>>
>> <sender's name>       95/08/08 23:50:53
>>
>>   Modified:    lib/libc  Makefile
>>   Log:
>>   Bump shlib minor because xdr_* functions have been enabled.  Do NOT
>>   bump it again if something else is added before 2.2.
>>
>>   The xdr_* functions are enabled only in the 2.2 (-current) branch
>>   so far.  If that modification is moved to the 2.1 (-stable) branch,
>>   this one should, too.
>>
>>   Reviewed by:  the mailing lists

I know that having announcements of this sort on a separate list makes it
easy to have procmail just archive the announcements in a sepearate
folder for a quick review at a glance.  Just a comment on what another
group does.

David

David Brinks - Assist Sys Admin.   brinks@cps.cmich.edu
422 Pearce Hall                    Mail maintainer of:  archive, ftpadmin
Computer Science Department           www, and sometimes other accounts
Central Michigan University           used for admin purposes.
---All opinions, and possibly some of the facts, are strictly of my own.----