Re: Bug reporting script

Chuck Stickelman writes:

>I think that information could be quite useful.  I think that
>user, group, and mode information would be very useful, as well.
>(Word-Perfect 5.x for Unix has "wpperm -[c|s]" that uses such a
>database to reset those attributes; it's quite handy for solving
>all kinds of permssions problems.)

and

>Maybe we're talking about different things - maybe we just disagree.
>I've seen wpperm fix problems in .../wp/shlib which is full of non-
>executable shared files.  I've also seen Unix support
>Reps. indiscriminately run 'chmod 777 *' on large parts of a file
>system.  I've seen the after- math of overworked, under-trained
>sys-admins changing owner:group as well as the file's mode.  I've
>got examples on this system where file permissions aren't what they
>should be.  We've had posts to debian-user and debian-bugs that were
>file permission problems.  The list goes on and on.

Richard Kettlewell responded:

>I suppose there's no reason why my program shouldn't check stored
>permissions/etc information if it's there.  I guess that makes it a dpkg
>issue rather than a repair issue.

Ian, is there any likelihood that dpkg will store this kind of
information in /var/lib/dpkg?  It would work out as 100Kb or so if
stored compactly but uncompressed, several times that in
human-readable form.  It should compress well.

If this is felt to be too much, perhaps there could be an option which
lets users control whether they want it (but what should the default
be?)

Anyone else have any opinions?

Failing that, the best I can do is try to extract the information from
the output of dpkg --contents on the .deb file, which isn't very
satisfactory.

>I think repair-0.1 is still in Incoming.  I may upload version 0.2
>tomorrow, depending what state it is in.

...less developed than I'd hoped.  I'm about to put in a few hours
work...

ttfn/rjk