non-text files in /etc

I don't know if these should be regarded as bugs or not, but
thought I'd mention them.  There are two non-text files in /etc
on my 0.93r6 system:  /etc/ld.so.cache and /etc/localtime.

My slightly outdated copy of the FSSTND isn't crystal clear
on this, but it describes /etc as "Machine-local system
configuration"; implying, at least to me, that it should contain
files which are modified as desired to change machine-local
configuration options.  Possibly these should go in /usr/lib?

I note that the ld.so(8) man page mentions /etc/lo.so.cache
in several places.

mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com (Bill Mitchell)