Re: Configuration file update behaviour change options

Ian Jackson <iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk> said:

> This is a request for discussion and suggestions. [...]
> I'd like suggestions for a sane option syntax for allowing the person
> who invokes dpkg to set these options.

Is it perhaps sufficient to give the package maintainer the
ability to change these options, but not the package installer;
putting the package maintainer in control of conffile handling

If so, non-default handling behavior could be specified in the
control file or conffiles file if different from the default
(I'd suggest extending the conffiles syntax to cover this).