Is anyone using dpkg -R ?

dpkg has a --root option for setting the root directory for
installation.  I don't use it, and it may not be very well tested, but
I believe it's useful for base system construction (for example), and
it is probably useful for test installations, too.

There is currently an alias for --root, namely -R.  I'd like to
preempt the short name -R for another purpose.

Does anyone have any objections to this ?

If not, please consider this as your notice that the -R option will
come to mean something different, so you should use --root instead.

--root (and --admindir and --instdir) will remain unaffected.

Ian.