manual program

As you probably already know, I've been working a little with a
manual suite for Debian, named `sman'.  Unfortunately, I haven't been
able to work on it lately, and it does need more work.  So I've taken
Jim Robinson's "lead" and placed it up for FTP so that interested
parties may work on it and/or test it.

It is quite a good manual suite and I prefer it over the "standard"
man-1.2 program.  Some features:

 o  Replacement `catman' binary for the `makewhatis' script.
    It manages to build all of Debian 0.91's whatis indices in 42
    seconds on a 386/33dx (including the XFree86 whatis index).

 o  Doesn't rely entirely on shell scripts.  (Just a little.)

 o  Ability to read compressed manual pages (with a small patch
    to tmac.andoc)

It is currently at:

tempest.ecn.purdue.edu:/pub/debian/project/devel/incoming

I suspect it will be moved to devel/test, eventually.

If you have the time or inclination to take a look, grumble over the
code, and make some improvements, criticize me for using it,
etc. please do so.  Instead of mailing this list, however, please
mail me directly.

Note that I didn't write it.  Darren Senn did, but I have been unable
to contact him.

[ominously] Just remember, this is going in Debian.  :-)

Dan

P.S. The permissions and ownership scheme described in the README for
sman may be changed for Debian 0.91.

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>